Τετάρτη 27 Φεβρουαρίου 2008

Dodona: The Oracle of Gods and of Men

Today my class took a trip to the oracle of Zeus at Dodona. The camera has made a timely recovery and so I have many pictures to post. First a bit about the oracle though. The site is located at about 22 kilometers' distance from Ioannina and was one of the most famous cult centers in Antiquity, attracting pilgrims from as far away as Persia. It is said that at this site, Zeus dwelled in the roots of great oak trees that grew in a sacred grove and the priests of the oracle would divine the god's will by listening to the rustling of the leaves and looking at the flight of the birds that nested in the trees.

Although evidence of prehistoric activity have been found at the site (by the archaeological society of Ioannina University no less!), the oldest of the remaining structures dates from the fourth century B.C. The popularity of the cult reached it's peak before 166/7 but continued to fare well into Roman times. It was only in the fourth century after Christ, by order of the Christian emperor Theodosius that the oracle was shut down and a church was built on the site. One of the most impressive structures is the wonderful theatre, built in the second century B.C, which has been quite well-preserved. Until recently it was used for plays and concerts but now due to loose stones all performances have been suspended for some time (until they restore it at least). We couldn't go up to see if we could hear a pin drop but somebody clapped when I was standing quite far away and the sound was perfectly clear. What a magical place it is!





A Doric (thanks Pondu!) column





The Whole IKY Gang


My friend Zhaina from Kazakhstan



8 σχόλια:

Ανώνυμος είπε...

Theodosius ruined everything!

Ανώνυμος είπε...

This is wonderful, Saskia! I'm so glad you finally got to go to Dodona, one of the most marvelous places in the world, a magical place.

I went there about five years or so ago on my car-trip through Στερεὰ Ἑλλάδα, the Epirus and Thessaly. The region in general is the Kingdom of Hades, a part of the world from the creation, more ancient than Delphi or any other place. It's the place of Genesis, the dwelling of Hypnus & Thanatus and living archetypes.

I'd spent the night at the Necromanteum. And I admit to being of a certain romantic disposition. So when I got to Dodona, I did bring certain preconceptions with me and thus was open to a special experience.

But I think there was something stronger there than what I brought to it. The oh-so-rationalistic Greeks like to theorize about magnetic fields and such. I don't know about that. But there is something magical there: the actual oak-tree there may be a different one, but the breeze blowing through it is the same as that in antiquity.

When standing at the top of the theater, I looked out over the valley before it and remember thinking that I could be entirely content to lie and sink down into the ground and sleep and dream for a thousand years.


I'm sure you found something of that too and I'm happy my favorite girl was able to go there too!

Saskia είπε...

I, admittedly not being of a romantic disposition, felt that there was definitely something special there too. It was not difficult to imagine what it would have been like in ancient times.
As for the rationalistic Greeks, I've been hearing about magnetic fields from all manner of people, the favorite location seems to be the Acropolis. Did you know by the way that Delphi, Dodona, Delus and the Acropolis are all aligned? Basiliki told me this today.

Ανώνυμος είπε...

By the way, thanks for sharing the photos! They're really great. Except, in the group one (second to last), what's that burly creature on the far right? It looks like an...

...ἀνασκολοπίστρια!

Saskia είπε...

I know I know, I had something snarky written in the caption but then I felt bad and deleted it! I am wimpy to the max.

Saskia είπε...

p.s. blogger does not seem to like polytonic, i'm getting a lot of boxes.

Ανώνυμος είπε...

Stupid ignorant monotonic blogger!


Γαμῶ τὸ σπίτι του!

Emily είπε...

you two are funny